Monday, April 25, 2011

What a day

Well I seriously considered posting some melodramatic one line statement like "He's gone" as my entire blog post, but decided that was a bit over the top. It really wasn't the big dramatic day I imagined. There was no major meltdown or anything like it. The weirdest part of the day had to be this morning getting everyone dressed. It wasn't like we were going to a Easter service at church - which would have been a happy occasion. The mood and atmosphere was more like we were getting ready for a funeral. And I know that IS melodramatic, but I don't mean it to be. But there was just a quiet in the house as we all got ready without any arguing or tantrums - everyone talking in hush whispers. It just reminded me of getting dressed up to go somewhere nobody wants to go.
But once we left the house it just felt like time sped up to double speed. Church, then changing clothes, then a quick bite to eat, then drop him off at the recruiter's office. I felt myself tear up a few times and the only way I could snap out of was to start thinking of names of fruit. This was all day. Like drying my hair - banana, orange, strawberry. Listening to the Resurrection sermon at church - banana, strawberry, blueberry, apple, grapes, pineapple. Buckling William's seat belt - grape, apple, peaches, pear. But once we said a quick "see ya later" and went our separate ways - that's when I could think of no more fruit. So, on the way home we ended up having a nice cry. I told the girls it was OK to be sad, but we can't be sad forever. And that more than anything, we have to be strong for Daddy so he doesn't think he made a mistake.
And then Billy and I texted or talked on the phone all day. So it didn't even feel like he left. I guess when I don't hear from him for a week, that's when it'll start to suck.
***Update*** I talked to Billy this morning (Monday) and he said he was surrounded by a bunch of 18 year old kids and was highly annoyed. I am just really praying he meets someone with some sense.

No comments: