Friday, April 22, 2011

Date Night!!!!

I don't know when I've been more excited to blog before in my life!!! Billy and I had our date night last night. Billy's step-brother got us a hotel room in Nashville. A real nice fancy hotel that we probably never would have had a chance to stay in, and we are sooooo thankful to him for thinking of us. It was awesome to just get away from the kids and actually have a dinner without interruptions. We ended up going to the restaurant in the hotel. It was a lovely meal, and we practically had the whole place to ourselves. Just sitting there talking for a couple hours without any interruptions was unreal. The hotel room had this super sized luxury king bed that felt like we had a football field between us. (We're totally getting one of those when we get to our new place) And then this morning, we had our cup of coffee on the balcony overlooking the courtyard. Nice... just super nice. ***ok, that was the version of the date that we'll tell people when they ask how our date was. here's the real version (the most awesome hilarious version)*** Last night we get a chance to stay in a hotel in Nashville and as we pull into the parking lot we see a whole fleet of trucks and buses. The trucks are unloading what looks like hundreds of chairs, sound systems, TV's, speakers, stage equipment, lighting equipment, etc... The buses were unloading hundreds of kid-type people. As we walk up to the building, a kid yells over the balcony, "Hey you lady in the green (me) and you guy with the glasses (Billy)!! Hi!!!!" Oh good grief were my thoughts. So, we check in and I ask the lady behind the counter what kind of event is going on tonight and she says it is the Anime Convention. Anime = Japanese cartoons.  We leave our children at the grandparents in order to escape children and end up staying in a hotel with a few hundred children. And when I say children, I mean grown folks who just never lost that inner child. And I have no issue with Anime loving folks - my niece and brother are both huge fans of Anime. But when you take a hotel and stuff it to the gills with Anime loving folks... um... no words. Just to give you an idea - we saw some folks in pirate costumes, some people with purple hair, some people with green hair, people wearing long flowy dresses, people wearing nothing but a t-shirt and a gas mask (in no way joking), folks in tuxedos and the head of a dragon, a lady in a little bo-peep dress with Dr. Suess style Cat In the Hat stockings.... the list can go on and on. OH And a guy wearing six inch stack shoes with a 4 foot sword made out of cardboard and silver spray paint - and he had on black tights with his tuxedo jacket that had white cotton balls glued to the butt. Whew!!! So, we get up to our room and (it was a least a mile walk to the room from the elevator) we find our door with our broken refrigerator out in the hall. The room really was wonderful. And the blaring rave music playing in the courtyard at deafening levels was such a mood enhancer!!! Dinner was super nice and quiet (seriously the best part of the evening). We were the only ones in there for the longest time. The mashed potatoes were AH-MAZING!!!!! And then after dinner we sat out on the balcony listening to the rave music and watched a girl wearing nothing but  t-shirt and a gas mask line the floor of her balcony with newspaper and then spray paint her clothes black. Priceless. Billy wouldn't let me take any pictures of any of this. But the mental images are vivid enough.
Anyway, it was a really fun experience. LOL! I am extremely thankful and Billy and I just really enjoyed our time. If only I had some pictures though....

Oh and at dinner Billy said the most wonderful thing: "You know, I am kinda worried about snoring too loud and bothering the other guys."  So I reply, "Really?? You've been married to me for 12 years and you've never once worried about your snoring and how it effects me!"  Billy says, "Yes well you won't put a bar of soap in your sock and beat the crap out of me in my sleep."  My thoughts were, "Oh won't I?"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That may be the best date night story ever. Glad you guys got to laugh, it's the best part of partnership.

HeatherandTanner said...

That date sounds like so much fun! :D

BBlackburn said...

Aja, nothing tops our first date night story. Nothing. I will have to share at some point when I have more time. But to give you a preview, it involves an almost flat tire, a wrecker, a pyscho, about 12 cop cars, and a warrant.