Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week Zero

So today just seriously sucked. I had a nice long pity party for myself and gave myself a royal headache. Then when the girls got off the bus, I got everybody in the car and we all went and got our hair cut. LOL! Nothing like getting a new do to lift your spirits just a bit. And while we were waiting to get our hair "did" I got a call from Billy. The fastest phone call ever. It was pretty much, "are you ok?" he said, "no. not liking this too much." He sounded like he'd just had major dental work done - his speech was all slurred and garbled. I asked if he'd had any rest and he said none. I asked if he was going to get to sleep tonight and he said no. Then he said he had to go and it was CLICK and he was gone. As hard as it was to hear, I felt TONS better hearing his voice. So new hair cut and a phone call later, I was over my pity party.

If you are curious about what he's going through right now... read below.
Week 0: Reception
Soldiers complete administrative actions required to become part of the Army. Simple things such as medical examinations, setting up pay, and initial issue of equipment is completed. This process typically takes between two and three days but can take over a week in some cases.

What they fail to tell you is that you have a whole bunch of shots, pokes, prods, very little sleep and you get about 7 tons of clothes, equipment and supplies that he'll have to carry around with him.

If you want to see what the Fort Jackson training is going to be like for Billy check out this link:
http://www.jackson.army.mil/sites/bct/  I think there is even a video about reception on there.

BTW - I have my final grade for one class Computer Writing and Literature - I got an A! WHOO HOO! One down, five to go.

No comments: