Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sometimes it is just hard

So, ever notice in a sitcom or television drama where there is some lesson to be learned and it seems as though several of the characters are all facing the same kind of issue at the same time? Like when Kevin on the Wonder Years was faced with a racial issue in his high school. And his sister was at the same time doing a protest march for civil rights. And then the dad had some sort of racial issue at his work. (I'm completely making that up, but I'm sure at some point there was an episode like that). Anyway... they all are going through the same thing and it just all ties in nicely at the end with a big ole' happy ending.
Well, strangely enough, my family is going through one of those episodes. I won't go into any specific details but it revolves around some friends. My daughter has a friend who likes to cling to her at school,  but then will ignore her in public. Not nice and it's hard for a young girl to understand that some friends are just there when it is convenient. My husband made a really good friend in training only to find out their true character this week and too is very disappointed in how things happened. I don't know why bad things happen to good people, but I do know this... There is no reason why anyone should treat someone else any less than how they want to be treated. What happened to the Golden Rule? Unfortunately, I do not see any nice little antidote wrapped up in a big cheesy one liner followed by the ending credits and a theme song.

But that's OK. Sometimes life is just a bit of a disappointment. You make friends and you lose friends. But it is how you hold onto your own values in the end that really matters.

Yeah... I know. That was cheesy.

No comments: