Saturday, February 5, 2011

Introducing Zack!

We've done this a couple times before. We'll send two-thirds of our children away to a grandparent's house for the weekend and spend some one-on-one time with the child left behind. I think now more than ever, this needs to be a regular thing. Especially considering the kids won't have their daddy for a whole summer plus some and not too long from now. So, today we took Allison on her solo weekend. First, she played her basketball game. They won 44 to 15. HOOAH! And she was just dog tired after that one. But once she was done, we hit the ground running. Took her to the mall and let her do the Build a Bear Workshop. She got to make Zack. A basketball loving monkey. It was our first time getting to do something like that and it was just too cool! You can make any kind of animal with any kind of outfit. They even had some army uniforms there. I think I want to go make one of those for the kids. You can even get your animal eyeglasses. Some of the outfits were hilarious too. A Harley leather jacket - and you could even buy the motorcycle for your animal to sit on. Ballerinas, sports stars, nerds, preps, punk rock, everything. I can't wait to take Emma to make one for her. Anyway, we continued our solo evening just doing some window shopping and ate lots of cookies and cherry coke. She's now curled up sound asleep with Zack. So sweet.
So... this may not be as funny to you as it was to us, but something happened to us at WalMart yesterday that I'm still cracking up over. Browsing through the bakery department Billy notices the boxes of Snowballs (marshmallow balls covered in sugar) and says, "I wonder if anyone actually still buys those." "Well, I guess they do but I can't imagine why. They look horrid" and then just the thought made me literally gag. Not ten minutes later we are in the checkout lane. The gal is ringing up our goods and a man (a very Harley Davidson kinda biker lookin man) starts putting his groceries on the thinga-ma-jig behind mine. What is the first thing he puts down? SNOWBALLS! I immediately make eye contact with Billy and from my expression he knows something marvelous just happened - just wasn't sure what it was yet. I dart my eyes towards the snowballs and look back at him to see if he sees. He kinda shakes his head like, what? So, I turn my whole body and stare at the snowballs. Look back. He's smiling but I can tell he still doesn't know. After the third time of this foolish behavior, I get the giggles. I mean full out body shaking no noise church giggles. Cashier thinks I'm nuts. By this times, I've got tears coming down and can hardly scan my debit card through the stupid machine. That's when I hear Billy's snort. I don't even look up because I know he's finally seen it and if I look at him I don't think I can keep from bursting out. So of course going to the car was just lots of air-punching and stuff like, "that was so freakin funny!" See - dumb story. But we just had such a great laugh over it. I think I'm going to buy him some snowballs for Valentine's Day.
Army TidBit of the Day: (this comes straight from Billy's mouth)
"You know it's really kinda backwards if you think about it. We (the men and women in the military)are basically giving up all our freedom so that everyone else can have theirs."

No comments: