Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day Ten ~ My house

There were a few days there back in September when the Blackburn's got to experience what it really felt like to be homeless. On a Saturday morning, we turned our house keys into our landlord. We had nowhere to live until the following Tuesday. So, we crashed at the in-laws before taking our trip here to North Carolina. It really felt more like a vacation... until we get here to Fayetteville and there was just nowhere to stay. Having Fluffy with us limited our choice of hotels. I just never thought it would be a big deal. So after driving around for about an hour, we finally found a place in the absolute most horrible part of town. This was after Billy said we should sleep in the cars. I refused to sleep in the car. No way. I'd rather sleep in the Happiness Hotel than make my kids sleep in the car. But I've already talked about that evening. It wasn't fun. I remember the next morning sitting at IHop with the kids and thinking, 'this is what it would feel like to be homeless.' We had nowhere to go. We still had a few hours before we could check in with housing. I knew we would be getting keys to our new place soon enough, but it still makes you feel uncomfortable knowing you just had no place to hang your hat...yet. And I do not pretend to compare my situation to those people who really have lost their homes. And those that really do not have anywhere to go. You hear some really sad stories about families who just lost it all in this economy. So I appreciate how fortunate I am. To be blessed with such a great little house in such an awesome neighborhood, I am more than thankful.

No comments: