Friday, November 11, 2011

Day Eleven ~ Freedom

I've always had a deep appreciation of this great country we live in. I don't think I've ever or will ever take the freedom we have for granted. Especially now more than ever. I could not be any more proud of Billy putting his own freedom on hold in order to protect our country. It is because of him and all the other men and women of the armed forces that we are even able to continue to have the freedoms we are so used to. What is probably the weirdest thing (or maybe not weird, but just unexpected) is how people will thank me and the kids for our service to this country. I never really thought about it that way until recently. And that's sad because there are millions of military families out there who sacrifice so much every single day and the general public just doesn't understand that. I know I didn't. Freedom isn't free. Freedom is that thing that takes kids' daddies away for months at a time. Freedom is that thing that takes men and women away from this world forever. Freedom means a lifestyle that requires daily struggle, pain, fear, loss.... It isn't free. Is it worth it? Oh absolutely. Do I complain about this life because I'm regretting a decision of such magnitude? No... I complain because I'm just showing an honest (and selfish) side. But when it all comes down to the truth... the real truth... I will take all the nonsense paperwork, all the unanswered questions, all the daily changes in plans. I will take it all because I know that behind all that BLECH is a priceless gift. A gift that so many people take for granted. Put yourself in the shoes of one soldier for one day and you'll see what I mean.

Happy Veteran's Day!

No comments: