Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Day Nine ~ My Childhood

I have to say that my childhood was pretty great. And I don't mean great like I had a big house and lots of things or new cars. I mean I was surrounded by some really funny and loving people. I've come to miss all the family gatherings that we used to have. The big Christmases at my grandparents' house. The big meals we'd have on the weekends, just because my grandmother loved to cook big meals. All the cousins and aunts and everyone. We just did it all the time. And my brother and sister who always did the most outrageous things to their baby sister (me). Like put me in a box and throw me down the stairs to see how far I would roll. Or when I was sick they made me "a special drink" to make me feel better. I'm pretty sure that special drink had some coffee grounds and tabasco sauce mixed in with the coke and ketchup. I miss playing silly games like Spotlight, bootchey tag, no skibby's and no pokes, and garbage bag swimming. I miss taking rides in the car and listening to my mother make ridiculous comments like "listen to the birds" and then having my brother mock her for hours on end. I love that we barely had any money but mom always made sure we were involved in band or dance or sports. We were so truly blessed. I don't know how well we knew it back then, but I know it now. So thankful for the wonderful blessings I got growing up with the amazing people God gave me.

No comments: