Thursday, January 27, 2011

Today was full of surprises

So, Billy went to this security interview. We just assumed everyone had to do it. Not according to the lady doing the interview. Billy (tactfully) asked why he was being interviewed and she said she wasn't sure, but that the authorities must have a good reason because these "tests" are expensive and they don't just do them to everyone. Her guess was that Billy scored so well on his ASVAB tests that they wanted to see if they could get him security clearance. It was a lot of questions about his family, his finances, and stuff like that. We're still not sure who ordered the test and why, but if he can get security clearance that will help him get a better job eventually. However, in my mind I'm thinking the less you know the less the enemy cares about you. But who am I? Another surprise... we have been debating opening a new checking account with a large bank in order to have access to a branch where ever we are stationed. I reluctantly decided that Bank of America was probably the best choice. I really do not like large corporate banks after having worked at one for close to 8 years. Still a tad bitter - but that's a story for another day. Anyway, we had a very pleasant experience and I'm even kinda excited about going online tomorrow to do some of the online stuff. I guess there are some advantages of going with a big bank. Heck, at least I don't have to work there. Which is funny because I was sitting there enjoying my experience so much I almost asked if they were hiring. Then the bank lady turned to me and asked if we wanted a credit card and I thought - NAH UH! I am not going back to making quotas on credit card sells. Forget that! Anyway, Billy and I said "NO!" in unison to which she said, "well if you change your mind...." AS IF!!! Emma came to me about 30 minutes ago and says, "Mom, I need a poster board to enter the poster contest tomorrow." SURPRISE!!! At 9 pm. For me to run to town (35 minute drive) buy a poster board at Walmart (3 hour minimum) and get home to decorate it before school tomorrow. Um, sorry sister. I hated to tell her we can't do it. I even searched through my mind for any 'old' yard sale sign that we could refurbish, but nothing. We just didn't keep any of that stuff when we moved. So... she doesn't get to do the poster contest. BUT... she did write an excellent speech for her 4H club and she was chosen as a top five participant to enter into the speech contest. YAY! I stole Billy's Guide to Basic Training Book... Lot's of good information. I think I'll start posting my Army Tid-Bit of the day just to make it more educational. LOL! Today's Army Tid-Bit of the Day: Every soldier must have this memorized The Soldier's Creed I am an American Soldier I am a Warrior and a member of a team I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade. I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself. I am an expert and I am a professional. I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat. I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life. I am an American Soldier! *goosebumps*

No comments: