Saturday, January 22, 2011

Red Team was Mean!

So, Allison had her first experience with bad sportsmanship on the basketball court today. The team they played was very good. However, you could tell they were very used to playing "street ball" with no real rules. Those kids were nasty. Allison got pushed and no foul called on the kid. Not cool. So, anyway. It was just a good lesson in how not to play. But it was really hard to keep quiet. Our coach was getting upset and a parent kinda started screaming about not calling foul on a kid from the other team. But one look from the coach and the parent shut up. So, they lost and I think Allison was bummed out. But that's ok. Like I said, it was a good lesson. Billy got in his book on Basic training today. He read the whole darn thing in one day. LOL! Which is funny because he was talking about some of the kids he works out with and how gung-ho they all are about joining up. Billy was like, "I'm just like whatever. I'm not excited. I'm not really anything. It just feels like a job." And then he goes and reads this book in a day. I've never EVER known that boy to read anything except the funny pages. Tell me he's not gung-ho. LOL!! I think another thing that has him bothered is he doesn't know how some people really feel about it. (and I'm being just totally honest - no judgement being passed whatsoever) But I think he feels like he's made some people angry by joining up. The last thing he needs is to feel his ties being severed. He didn't make this decision to please others. He did it because he needed to do this for himself and to support his family. He just went on a little tangent this afternoon about something totally unrelated but the undertone of his speech was perfectly understood. I don't know how others are feeling. I would hope they aren't angry or disappointed in his choice. But even if they were, it's his life. I understand that it is hard to support something you do not understand. So to put it plainly, the only thing to understand is this: Billy is a wonderful and brave person. His heart is huge and his integrity goes beyond most others I've ever known. He is a fair and decent man who has been given a chance to fulfill a dream. So therefore, I will always support that. Always. ------ Sorry about that. I think blogging is a good way to just get down your feelings and organize your thoughts in a way to help you process things. If I'm a bit harsh, it's just because I'm having a highly emotional day. Which apparently is the case today. Everything I said is true. Probably more blunt than I usually am. But when you are going through a major overhaul to your entire lifestyle - you just don't have time to tip-toe around the important things. So... I'll end with this: Please let him know that you support him if you do - or keep your mouth shut if you don't. But either way, do not let him go into this thinking you've stopped caring for him. That is all.

3 comments:

Memaw said...

I support him 100% not just as a mom but also as an American. Freedom and patriotism mean a lot to me.

SS said...

I'm behind you, Billy. All the way!

Anonymous said...

Tell Billy he cannot worry about what other people think. Everyone willing to serve our country deserves all of our support and honor.

Billy is a very brave man - on many different levels:
starting a new career = brave, following a lifelong dream = brave
being a soldier = hero