Sunday, July 17, 2011

Summer's End

I was talking to my mother this morning and I was mentioning that Billy has just completed his first week of AIT. It kinda made my stomach hurt because it feels like a month since he left to go to Virginia. But it really isn't that bad considering we only have 45 more days. That's nothing compared to Basic Training - as we all know.
But this weekend has been either action packed or uneventful. Harry Potter did not disappoint at all. In fact, I was so pleasantly pleased with it, I downloaded the soundtrack this afternoon. (me and iTunes are going to have a knock down drag out by the way) and everyone who knows me knows that if I have the soundtrack, then I love the movie. I don't know many other people like that except Billy. He doesn't really do that anymore, but when we first started dating I found it interesting that we had the same CD's many of which were soundtracks to movies. Sorry - back to the movie. It was an emotionally satisfying ending to a wonderful story. The moment that upset me so in the book was exactly perfect in the movie - intense and emotional. I can't wait to see it again. I wonder if it will still be in theaters in 45 days and I can go with Billy. Hmmm...
But, Billy and I have been talking on a pretty regular basis. If he isn't able to call, he'll text. And Friday evening we talked for almost a whole hour. It was wonderful! The kids all got a chance to chat with him, too.
I found a few things that I'll share with you
  • Graduation IS on September 1st and he will graduate IF he passes his PT tests and other tests.
  • He shares a room with two other guys. One who likes to play rap music really loud. ugh
  • The air conditioner in their room is broken... it never shuts off. Ever. One night they woke up and it was 38 degrees in there. They have to sleep in their winter PT uniforms with wool blankets and hats on. (Billy's thinking about buying a comforter next time he gets a chance to go to the store)
  • He and his team of classmates got the highest score when rigging up some thing-a-ma-jig. YAY!
  • They have a big room where they play movies on a big screen and have movie style seating. But this is only available on weekends. And the two movies he saw playing this weekend were "Hurt Locker" and "Full Metal Jacket." He said "Full Metal Jacket" was hilarious now that he's been through basic.
  • They won't get real weekend passes (like going off base or staying away over night) because a group before them messed up real bad.
  • Speaking of messing up, another guy from a different class came back from his weekend pass drunk. OOPS!
So that's about it really. Other than our conversation today trying to get his WiFi set up on the laptop, we've had some real nice talks. I am kinda liking this training. Last night he told me to listen to a Foo Fighters' song, "Summer's End." The words seem to fit pretty well. See if you agree.


"Summer's End"



Early morning without warning

Woke me with a scare

I had that dream again

That the sun was dead



Make me warm or take me home

Its so cold in here

Can't we meet somewhere

Is it winter there?

Is it winter there?

This winter



Meet me in the summertime

We can move the air

Sweet Virginia countryside

I will meet you there



Golden lips and cherry wine

Moonshine in your hair

Just keep staring at the sun

Pray for summer's end.



Come on over brave my storm

Oceans overhead

Come inside, my friend

Getting bad out there



Every moment we have stolen

All we have to share



No one wanted them

But you know I did

You know I did

This moment



Meet me in the summertime

We can move the air

Sweet Virginia countryside

I will meet you there



Bloody lips and cherry wine

Moonshine in your hair

Just keep staring at the sun

Pray for summer's end



Meet me in the summertime

We can move the air

Sweet Virginia countryside

I will meet you there



Bloody lips and cherry wine

Moonshine in your hair

Just keep staring at the sun

Pray for summer's end



Meet me in the summertime

Meet me in the summertime

Meet me in the summertime

We can move the air

Meet me in the summertime

I will meet you there





No comments: