Friday, July 22, 2011

Amish Country

Today was a much needed escape to the land of the Amish. My wonderful mother-in-law led us out to these little farms out in the middle of nowhere to find some wonderful homegrown veggies. It was a very hot day, but the breeze was pleasant enough to where we weren't melting. Because you know us sweet southern gals DO melt in the oppressive heat. Anyway, it was a lovely day and now I have all kinds of wonderful yummies to cook on for a while. I even managed to snatch some homemade fried pies. Best things on this earth, let me tell you! But tomorrow I get to do something just really domestic and learn how to can. Yup, me - Mrs. "Hates the Kitchen" is going to try and watch my mother-in-law and grandmother can some corn and peaches. Lord help us all!
The kids were simply amazed at how the Amish lived. Emma was non-stop with questions. "Why do they wear their hair like that? Why do the guys have such long beards? Aren't they hot in all those clothes?" We had stopped at this one little farm that the yard was full of children. The youngest was probably 2 years old. She was adorable in her little dress and bonnet. Her dress was cut just like a grown person. So it was like looking at a miniature woman. But they all stared at Emma and Allison as we were picking out our okra. When we got back in the car Emma wanted to know why they were starring at them. I said, "The same reason you were staring at them."
But after such a long day, the kids decided they wanted to hang out at their MeMaw's house to which I replied... "well if you insist!" and took off like a bolt of lightening. LOL! I jetted out of there before they could change their minds. I know.. I'm horrible. But this is a win-win for everyone. I get a nice quiet night all by myself (something I don't think has happened since 2006) and the kids get to spend some quality time with their grandparents (since who knows where we'll be moving to this Fall). So, here I am. At home. No noise (except for the 400 millions crickets that live right outside my bedroom window). Not even the TV is on. And I have nothing to do. I'm not even sure how to behave!

No comments: