Friday, July 15, 2011

Farewell Harry!

Most of you know, I am a GI-NOMROUS Harry Potter fan. I wasn't always. In fact, I just didn't understand all the hype for all those years. And then when I was pregnant with William and needed something to do while I kept my feet elevated, I picked up the first book. I figured, "eh, an easy read. why not?"  So, the madness began. At this point I already knew that I was having a little boy and here I am reading about a little boy whose mother loved him so much that he was able to live even though she wasn't. Pure connection and I was glued to the books. I had kinda sorta watched a movie or two, but again... never understood the big deal. And quite honestly, the movies kinda confused me. So I managed to read all seven books in about a 4 month stretch. I'll never forget a moment while I'm reading the seventh (and last) book on the couch one afternoon. I was just reading along towards the end of the book (no spoilers here) when a moment occurred in the novel that I just wasn't expecting. My whole family was sitting in the room watching television and here I am lying perfectly still ~ until I get to that one part. I bolted up gasping and sobbing all of which carried on for the absolute longest time. My heart physically hurt. Everyone thought I was nuts. But man, it was like a punch in the gut. And at this point, I'm about to burst with baby. It was just a moment of unmatched connection between fiction and reality.
So since my first run of reading the novels, I have revisited the books at least twice (some a third time). And now the last movie is on the big screen and Emma and I are headed to watch it in the morning. I am super excited about it and almost sad about it. Mainly sad because Billy won't be coming with us and he is always as excited about seeing these as we are. I'm hoping that they show the film at Fort Eustis and he can take a weekend and go see it. Maybe if I get to go visit him on a weekend pass, we can go together. Wishful thinking I guess.
Anyway, in other news, the girls got their school supplies today. I almost wish we didn't have to even buy them knowing that we could be moving in a few weeks. But they were super happy to have their new things and spent most of the afternoon filling their new backpacks with their fresh smelling pencils and packs of paper. Am I the only one that just loves the smell of brand new school supplies???
OH speaking of smells... can you believe Cracker Barrel has Halloween stuff out already???? What the crap is that???

No comments: