Wednesday, September 21, 2011

We made it!

Right now, I'm sitting in a living room with about a gazillion boxes of our junk. This has been a wild experience, let me tell you. I wish I could just explain all the many wild thing the movers did. However, I'm just totally exhausted to the point that I can't hardly sit here and blog. So, I'll give you a list of highlights.

  • The first thing the movers touched, they broke. It was my great-grandmother's dresser mirror. I don't think I was too terribly upset more than just in absolute shock. I think they were shocked as well. There was a lot of pacing back and forth and saying things like, "Oh no!" and "Oh this is so not good."
  • The movers were about 12 years old. No not really... but they looked it.
  • Once we got all the stuff on the moving truck and it drove away... we had about three days of camping out in the house. But it was fun! William loved hearing his voice echo in the empty house.
  • The drive to North Carolina was extremely fast. Well, it took every bit of 12 hours, but it didn't seem long. Which is amazing, considering I had the two young kids and the cat in my truck.
  • Fluffy  (the cat) HATED HATED HATED riding in the car. When we finally got to the new house, she went and hid in the kitchen cabinets for most of the day.
  • When we got to the Fort Bragg area, we found our neighborhood and since we couldn't check in until the next morning, we tried to find a hotel. Did you realize that there are very few hotels that will allow pets? OMG!
  • We ended up staying at the Knights Inn in Fayetteville... AKA Hotel California. It was beyond horrible! I wouldn't let anyone sleep under the sheets or take off their clothes. Billy woke up about every three minutes and went and looked out the peep hole to make sure no one was breaking into our cars. We barely slept at all.
  • After spending the night in the scariest place on Earth, we woke up before the sun and went and hung out at IHop until time to go to our new house. Oh and did I mention that the man who checked me out at the hotel desk was a police officer??? Yeah... it was that bad.
  • Movers brought the stuff to the house and as they would bring things off the truck, I sat there on my front porch with a clip board in my hand. They would announce the box number and I would check it off. It was incredibly odd to sit there like some princess and have men work around me while I sat in the cool shade. I almost think I could have had some tiny children fanning me with ginormous leaves and I would have felt more normal. But anyway...
  • Ok... so now we have our house. It is awesome!! Tons of space and just soooo many closets! The kids are loving their new rooms. Billy loves his way much bigger living room. I love having three bathrooms and actual water pressure!!! But there are some things I do not like about the house. For one, they were built for 6'3" Army Strong men. EVERYTHING is so high up. I'm a very short person, but come on! I mean everything is like a good foot higher than most houses. The cabinets, the windows... it's just weird. But the best thing I love about the house is that it is less than a block from the school and the pool!! The location couldn't be better.
  • It is a little weird having to show your ID every time you want to get into the neighborhood, but that's the way it is I guess.
  • We've not been to Fort Bragg at all. We drove by it once. I think we'll go there tomorrow and explore so that Billy will know where to go when he checks in.
And so that is a recap of the past week. It's been fun! I'm getting things unpacked as I can. Slowly. But it's getting done. And now that I'm back online... I hope to do updates more often. I think we are just now getting to the good stuff, folks. We're for real in the Army now!!

1 comment:

HeatherandTanner said...

I am glad that y'all (hehe) got there safe! :)