Friday, September 9, 2011

Dock You Mints!

The past two days I have done nothing but stare at this computer and fill our forms and whatnots trying to get us prepared to move. The Army REALLY likes to do paperwork. Lots and lots and lots of paperwork!! Just to pre-register the kids for school took me about 2 hours. First, you have to enter all your information on an electronic file - you can't save it to your computer Heaven Forbid!!So then you print it. Sign it. Scan it. Save it. Save it again in another place on the computer. Then email it or submit it to the respected party. This wouldn't be a big deal except there were 8 documents per child. Some documents were 3 pages long. That is a lot of documents!!! I'm sitting here thanking the Lord for my scanner. I don't know where I'd be without it right now. So BIG BIG BIG shout out to Billy's mother and step-father for giving us their left overs. God knew we'd need it and there is yet another amazing blessing!!
I've also decided to go on a job hunt. I kinda just jumped into this. I found a job I would really like to have and it is a Fort Bragg job, so there are lots of hoops and ringers to go through when applying for a government position. But thanks to my brother who tweaked my resume and my kids for cheering me on... I now have a little confidence in this procedure. I may not get the job. And that's fine. There is still a fraction of me that would rather just stay home for the rest of my life. But then there is another more dominant fraction of me that would actually like to do things like go on vacations and eat at restaurants every once in a while. When I told the girls I was trying to apply for a job, they literally cheered!! It was cool!! Or maybe they're just tired of seeing me in my 'comfy' clothes all the time. But anyway... the whole application process made me a nervous wreck. There was a 12 page document on "How to apply for this job." Wow. And then lots and lots of supporting documents and more documents plus a couple more documents. I was fussing about it to Billy. He says, "Is this a military job?" I said, "yup." He said, "well that sounds about right."
So yeah... that's what I've been doing for the past two days. Between the school, the housing office, the transportation office and now the employment office... I've been up to my eyeballs in documents.
But in other news... we have a moving date set for a little over a week away. We are having a Going Away party tomorrow night. I gave the kids a big bunch of invitations to hand out. I'm thinking we're going to have about 50 people. I'm getting really excited about it. I just want to hug a bunch of people!! I even bought a bag of Dog Tags to hand out!! Kinda fun!!

We have been loving having our Billy home. Life just fell right back into place. Even tripping over his big boots in the kitchen makes me smile. I'm sure in about a month, I'll be cussing them like I used to. But for now... it's a bit comforting to see those boots there.
OK... I'm about done with this computer. My eyes are watering. But I've submitted my application for that job... so wish me luck.

No comments: