Tuesday, October 18, 2011

One month marker

So it was one month ago that we got to Fort Bragg. I'm finding this very hard to believe. Probably the fastest month we've had since Billy joined up back in January. Well, maybe a close second to the month before he shipped this Spring. Anyway, I've not been too bloggish lately. Just haven't had too much to say I guess. At least nothing real OMG exciting. But I do have a few random bits of information that I guess I could share.
Um... let's see.... Oh Ok...

Allison has decided to put her basketball and jersey down in exchange for a short skirt and pom poms. When did she turn into a little girly girl?? I should have known she would eventually switch over to the pink side, but there is a small part of my secret heart that is kinda sad about it. When she played ball this spring, I just knew she was going to get a full athletic scholarship to the college of her choice one day. A mother can dream, right? But, yeah... the area we live in is starting it's own league and when I asked the girls if they wanted to do basketball or cheer, they both enthusiastically said CHEER!! I knew Emma would cheer. That was never a question. She just looks like a cheerleader. But I always thought Allison looked like an athlete, so what do I know? (And yes, I know cheering is considered athletic - but that's not what I mean) And of course, none of this matters, because when they get into middle school they are both going to be in band so there. Again, a mother can dream, right?

Speaking of band... this weekend back in Murfreesboro, TN (where Billy and I met at school) they are having the 50th annual Contest of Champions (a huge band contest). I have only missed one contest in 20 years. And that was for my brother's wedding back in 1999. I am just really super sad about not getting to go this year. I mean like, tears and moping kinda sad. There was just something about working that contest every year that I just really loved. We're going to have to find something really distracting to do this weekend so that I won't be thinking about it. It's kinda like knowing you're going to miss a big party while all your friends get to go and you don't. Just sad. Moving on.

Billy's on detail this week. Neither one of us really understands what this means. But from what he said, when he's on detail he actually works. Apparently doing odd and end things. Like yesterday they put up a tent and took it back down. They just wanted to see if all the pieces were there. He actually likes it because he is doing something. Otherwise, they sit around and stare at each other back at his company. This is a bit of a problem. Billy's never been one to sit around (except at home oddly enough) and for them to just never have anything to do is killing him. But now that he's on detail, he likes it. At least he did yesterday.

William is super cute. There is a tiny little wooden bridge that goes over a drainage ditch on the way up to the school. It's actually kinda cute. But the past few days we have crossed it, he'll run up to it and hide behind it. When someone walks past, he jumps out and growls, "I'm the grumpy old troll!!!" He just loves to do it. And people just laugh.

Emma has been wearing her old t-shirts from school back home the past few days. I'm not sure if she is doing this because she misses Tennessee, but it's just something I noticed. Of course, she's doing super well with all her thousand friends. And we're getting a grip on this homework mess. There's just so much of it. It's even overwhelming for me. And I think one thing that bothers me is that the other 5th grade classes don't have as much as she does. So, I have to sit here and wonder if this isn't a good thing for her. I hope so.

I've got a few errands to run today (Fluffy to the vet, sign up kids for cheering, get a library card, etc...) So, I'll be off now.

No comments: