Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fittin' In

Emma came to me last night and had to ask me a question for a Health assignment. "Is there ever a time in your life that you didn't feel like you fit in?" I didn't have to think long. I have always seemed to kinda mesh well with the people around me. If I had to change schools (which I did a few times growing up), I always had some sort of common bond like band or church. And we band geeks know how to make each other feel like family. But moving out here... well... this has been a weird experience for me. I do not know anyone. Do you know how weird it is to go to the grocery store and not have to worry about running into someone you might know? I could wear my pajamas and curlers in my hair if I wanted to. Or put some zit cream on my face. I even feel odd when all these forms from the school come home and need an emergency contact and the only other person I know is Billy. I really kinda feel like I should have a lot in common with the other wives out here - and maybe I do and just haven't gotten to know anyone well enough to confirm it, but standing here I have never felt so out of place in my life. I keep expecting the welcome wagon to show up and install my BFF. But they never came. And I'm not alone in this. Billy feels the same way. He's got one  other fellow there at his company that is close to his age and they seem to get along well, but he's getting out in three months. All the rest of the guys there are kids. So, it's just weird for us both. Neither one of us will put ourselves way out there in order to get noticed. We both like to kinda lurk on the sidelines until someone approaches us. (which sweetly enough is how Billy and I met - but I'll save that story for another day).
Anyway.... I answered Emma and let her know that I guess I feel weird because all the women my age out here have been in the military for many years. I'm a newbie through and through and it's just odd for me to be starting life over (in a way) at this age. What makes it even harder is that I just don't have anyone here who I can talk to about all this Army stuff. My prayer lately is that God will put people in our lives that will make this experience a little less uncomfortable. I know our prayers will be answered in time. I don't think He put us here to watch us struggle. And when we find a church, I know that there will some relief there as well. But for now, I'm just trying to let everyone get adjusted to this place. Patience is important. Patience and Faith. Faith is crucial.

No comments: