Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Officially not a fan

Billy's schedule sucks. There is just no other way to put it. I'm not sure why because it is really no different from what he was doing in construction - waking up at 4 am and never really sure when he would be coming home. And I know that no one ever said that this would be a 9 to 5'er. But grrr! Wake up at 4. Leave by 5. PT from 6:30-7:30. Come home and shower. Be back in formation at 9. And then who knows from there. Like today for example... He rushes out the door to get there and do an 8 mile march (with a 35 pound pack on his back). He races home to take a ten second shower and change into his uniform so he can make it back to formation only to be told to go home and come back in three hours. BLAH! And then Monday night he ended up not getting home until after 6:30 because it took him an hour to get home (normally a 15 minute drive) because Fort Bragg traffic was insane.
So why am I complaining when I knew this was going to be a completely non-typical work life? I have no idea. I just felt like fussing and so I did! Now I feel better and can move on. Therefore, MOVING ON!
But now that we kinda know more... things are going well. He didn't know what squad or platoon he was in until yesterday. So if he had a question he didn't know who he was supposed to ask. And since this is his first week and he was a bit lost... he had a lot of questions and was super frustrated. But now he has a platoon and squad so he feels like he at least belongs somewhere. His Team Leader told him he reminded her of CID. (NO, I didn't know what CID meant. Billy had to tell me that it is the Army's version of NCIS. CID = Criminal Investigation Division) So, now he has a nickname. CID. LOL! It could be a really bad nickname like Old Man or Booger or something. I think he likes his nickname. HAHA!!
(Insert about five hours of a time lapse here)
So, I just got back from taking Emma to get her "shots" at the doctor. It was a bit of a mess there for a while. Apparently TN likes to kinda sorta go by the guidelines and NC feels some things should be mandatory - in regards to youth immunizations. Long story short... we had to get Emma a couple pokes in the butt and now Allison will have to go get some pokes in the butt, too. Blah. Oh well... at least now we know where the doctor is. I didn't go on post for this. Probably could have, but the nurse at the clinic said that she would avoid post for stuff like this. So, I guess we did alright. Anyway, Emma has two very sore hips this morning and decided she needed to take a small pillow to school to sit on. I let her. I'm choosing my battles.
And I take it all back from earlier. Yeah, Billy's schedule is unpredictable and a bit ridiculous, but he reports back in for his "after lunch" formation and they told everyone to go home. So, I guess that's ok. I don't think this is normal though. They are about to go through a change in command, so there is a lot of "stuff" going on with the important people. I guess the lowly soldiers are just in the way so they make them show their faces and then shoo them off again.
Speaking of showing your face... listen to this. Billy's good friend who has been with him since Basic, all the way through AIT and is now with him in his unit at Bragg, got to work the other morning. He pulled into the parking lot and didn't see anyone so he thought he was too early. So, he sits in his car for a few minutes and when no one else shows up decides to go on inside. He walks in the door one minute after 6 am and his Sgt comes down on him hard for being late. So now the poor guy loses his four day weekend. From Thursday at midnight until Tuesday at 6 am he has to report in every hour on the hour. Every. Single. Hour. That is nuts!! Seriously nuts!!!! I really hate it for the fellow, too. But at least he lives in the Barracks right inside the company so he won't have to go far. But still. Suck. Therefore, I will never complain about my husband for ever being too early. It used to drive me insane how he would leave two hours early for something only to sit there and wait for an hour and a half. But I will never complain about it again. Maybe this is why he likes the Army so much. He fits in well with the rules. He finally found a bunch of other people who like to be ridiculously early, too.
Yet one more reason why I would never make it in the military. I spend my day herding turtles.

No comments: