Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscars, PT, Gifted program, taxes, soccer and other things

Hold on tight... I've got a lot to say and only an hour to type it all out.

First off, I'm extremely disappointed in the Oscar nominations this year. I understand that Harry Potter wasn't this artsy fartsy movie that I normally enjoy... but COME ON!!! This movie makes over a BILLION dollars and has one of the most sentimental death scenes (Snape) in the history of movie making and they don't even get a nod... not a nod! I'm not happy with this, people. Yeah Yeah... it's just a movie. But still. I feel sad and somehow heartbroken to hear they were overlooked. Not fair. Not fair at all. They'll nominate a girl for having a seriously hilarious "pooping in the sink" scene and then not even look twice at Alan Rickman for his 12 years as Professor Snape!!  Very upset with you Academy!!!!! I'm seriously thinking about not even watching this year!

Anyway... moving on...

So, I went to church on Sunday. it was the chapel service run by the chaplains in our neighborhood. So, it was all military AND all families from our neighborhood. It was really nice - done in the school down the road. So it was close and familiar and felt good. Billy didn't attend as he was having stomach issues. But I know he'd like it. I'm going to make him go next time. I just loved how the pastor / chaplain tied in forgiveness with doing a 12 mile ruck march. LOL! It was just neat. Emma wasn't thrilled. The kids church was a little "young" for her I think. Allison enjoyed it though. And William... well he was ready to go back as soon as we got home.

A while back I mentioned that Emma was being tested for the Gifted Program at school. Sadly, they said she wasn't eligible. It was a bit of a blow. I didn't help matters talking it up like "hey I was in gifted and it was awesome!" and then she doesn't get in. So, I had to explain to her that back then they didn't test people like they do today. And that I probably wouldn't have made it in if I had to be tested. You know, taking tests is not my thing. But give me a story to read and write a paper on it... done. Deciding A B C or all of the above... I always freeze. Like taking the compliance tests back when I worked for the bank. I knew that stuff inside and out, but always struggled with the tests. I think I just over think things. And I'm sure that's where Emma froze, too. She just didn't get a high enough score. And all this on the same day that her best friend in her class got moved into another classroom. Blah.

Moving on...

And then of course, I finally make it up to the Child and Youth Services to sign the kids up for soccer. The good news is, William is on a team and starts practice in March. Allison... not so much. She got put on a waiting list because there were too many kids. POO!! But she's number four, so maybe that won't be such a big deal.

I went ahead and filed our taxes this year. I wasn't sure I could do it with all the military stuff, but really it wasn't any harder than doing it last year. Only thing is MTSU screwed me up by billing me for my tuition for the Spring of 2011 in December of 2010 - so I couldn't count that as a education credit. But because my pell grant was applied in January of 2011, I had to report that as income. GGRRR!!!!! Stupid people! Oh well... I guess it could be worse and we'd have to owe money. It was really only a difference of about $300 that I'd have gotten back. But still... that's a years worth of toilet paper, right there.

Moving on!!!

So yeah... I lay out all my doubts and fears to God last week. I seriously laid it all out there for the world to see, if they so chose to read... I had many friends send me very reassuring private emails and I can tell you that my outlook is changed completely!! I just needed that boost again. That jump out of the pit of despair. I don't think I'm 100% back to where I was, but I can already feel a peace surrounding me that I have really missed. I know going to church really helped. I know that pulling out the old bible and following an online prayer group were things that I needed more than I knew. It's been a blessing!!

Speaking of blessings!!! Billy's First Sgt had a fit yesterday when he found out no one was going to the afternoon PT sessions. Of course, Billy didn't know they were having these PT sessions - as did anyone else for that matter. First Sgt said that if anyone misses another one, they were going to get an Article 15. So, um... how is this a blessing? Well, for one... it is MAKING people go to these things, which is what Billy's been needing all along. But since no one else was going, he didn't think he could go either. It's just weird. But anyway... he's going again. Which is a good thing. I can't imagine what would have happened if the First Sgt hadn't of stepped in.  Kinda like how he threw a fit because no one signed up to go play paint ball. But get this... no one even knew they were doing paint ball, much less looking for volunteers. Whatever... moving on...

AND... apparently my drivers license expires on my birthday in a couple weeks. So, I go online to renew it and OOPSIES! they won't do it online. I have to go in. Um.. I can't just drive to TN and renew my license. So, I had to call and after being on hold for 23 minutes, transfered between departments, hung up on, leaving a voice mail, and receiving an email to which I had to reply to with a question and have yet to recieve an answer back.... I still don't know how to get my license renewed. LOL! But... this is just one of those things. And I'm fully convinced that it is the military's fault. Everything in the military is tedius and a pain in the butt, so let's just throw this into the mix as well. After all, I had to go through the military liason due to the fact that we are stationed out of state and blah blah blah... BIG HAPPY GRIN!!! Moving on...

No comments: