Thursday, January 12, 2012

One year

One year ago, Billy was in Nashville being sworn in as Future Soldier to the US Army. I can't even begin to tell you how much this year has done for us. I started this blog just a couple days after he began this process. I find it is so rewarding to sit back read all the posts from a year ago and then compare them to what we're going through now. I can't believe it's been an entire year. There are some things that have happened since we've been in that I pretty much expected and some things that I'm disappointed in and then some things that I've been pleased with.

Pretty much expected that we'd have to move away from family. That basic training would suck for Billy and us as well. That he would give it his best effort. That there would be a lot of perks for being a military family.

Disappointed in the fact that Billy's unit isn't what we had hoped. That he's having such a hard time with his PT. (he told me this morning that when he was at AIT and Basic he started to really love to run and did really well. But here he hates it and is doing really bad) That everything we do is a process and a half. Nothing has been easy - from enrolling in school to getting ready for missions. And I know this is going to shock a lot of people and I'm sorry if I sound hypocritical, but I'm disappointed that he may not get a chance to deploy. NOW... having said that... I do not want him to leave AT ALL! Especially while he is in this unit he hates so much and all that. BUT... I would hate for him to have to tell his grandkids that he was in the Army during the war and all he ever did was sit stateside and stare at the motorpool walls all day. We're also disappointed in how hard it is going to be for him to earn rank. He's only an E3 and I just don't see him getting promoted any time soon like we'd hoped. If he deployed, he could probably move up a little faster.

Pleased with the fact that we live in an awesome place. I really think we chose well when we picked this neighborhood. I've been to some of the newer housing on the main post and they really kinda suck. So, I'm very happy with where we are. Not only the structure and the location, but also the people. I really like where we live. My kids are starting to feel at home and there is that moment when you realize you're going to miss the friends you've made here just as much as you miss the friends you made back at home. I don't want to leave yet. I want to go home and visit, but I'm not ready for this adventure to be over.

But all in all, this has been a great year. One full of pain, strength, fear, relief, loneliness, communication, encouragement, rewards, farewells, reunions, change, settling in, old friends, new friends, ups and downs. And in all of this... there are no regrets. Never a regret.